A Purple Quilt


After our cat Vector died last August, I didn't feel like doing anything. What matters after the loss of a beloved friend? Not much. All I remember doing for a long while is crying a lot and eating a lot of junk and feeling the emptiness he left behind.


And then I got an idea. I wanted to sell my quilts (at cost of materials only) and donate the money to help other kitties (at our local shelter: Feline Rescue). I started quilting like crazy! Finishing up tops that had been hanging in the closet for years and making quilts from scratch when I had a little extra energy.


The purple quilt was a product of that energy. I wanted to help kitties, I wanted to keep my mind off my own sadness and I wanted to rid my stash of every scrap of purple fabric I could find. (If you've been reading for a while, you know I don't like purple!)


While this quilt top was up on the design wall, my friend Denise came over and fell in love with it. Denise is such a special person and really helped me through the hard time after Vector died. She sent emails and checked in to see how I was doing. Her kind words meant so much to me. I knew I wanted to give her this quilt when it was done.


Sadly, Denise's dog died shortly after Vector. I tried to be the friend she was to me. I finished the quilt as quickly as I could and sent it to her. She offered to pay for it to help my "quilts for cats" campaign but I declined. Quilts for friends are important too.


Despite the sad times in which it was made and the fact that is has SO much purple in it, I actually really love this quilt. I love the mix of colors and the half square triangles (and some hourglass blocks when I didn't have quite enough fabric). I love the business of it and I actually don't mind the purple. It makes me so happy that Denise loves it and I know, because he loved purple and crazy quilts, that Vector would have loved it too.

Comments

  1. Sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. It's so hard to lose them. What a wonderful gift though. I am not a fan of purple either, but this is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment