Graph Paper Days


When you were in elementary school, did you draw mazes and designs on graph paper? I did, all the time! I'd mostly do radiating diamond designs and then color them in rainbow order. Always. I know, I have issues.

I also loved the drawings where you draw a nonstop line in random loops and they overlap and it looks like a big mess, but then you can color it in so that no two colors are touching. It's hard to explain, sorry.

This quilt was inspired by a little of both and was my absolute favorite to design. I wanted to make diamond rings in three colors that were nested and all smashed together. But I didn't want diamonds of the same color to touch.

I still remember drawing this one out and it was so fun! I made a billion half square triangles in the various color combos but it took me years of putting it up on the design wall and taking it down before I finally just finished it up. (I used to have trouble wanting to sew HST quilts because I used to hate matching points...but now I'm pretty good at it and I don't worry so much.)


I LOVE how it turned out. I love the design and the colors and I was actually looking forward to the quilting...I'd been waiting for years! The diamonds are all echo quilted and it was every bit as fun as I'd imagined.


I'd really love to revisit this design, using different colors. It also makes me want to sew a rainbow diamond quilt someday. Time to break out the graph paper!

Comments